Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Who said weekends with the family are fun?

Well, they are supposed to be fun but I know now that too much quality time can have the opposite effect.

After a really positive week at work, I was in a great mood, pay day was round the corner and I could look forward to enjoying the fruits of my labour. In 4 short weeks, I was due 10 times what I was earning previously in my part-time web researcher job. I'd already made a shopping list...

Anyway, with Tunji due to go to Nigeria in a few days, this was our last weekend together as a family for a while and we decided to make the most of it by spending all our time together.

I drove from Leicester straight to Tunji's office in Highgate. After hanging out with him for a couple of hours until he closed, we went to dinner. I was really after plain simple food so we ended up at the Harvester near home. I ordered a well-done steak which arrived after 30 mins, coal black and hard as a rock. To avoid getting cancer from the burnt bits, I had to send it back and wait another 30 mins for a better cooked steak. We spent that time catching up deftly avoiding any difficult topics such as in-laws, money and business in general. It almost felt like being on a date.

Saturday was my friend's daughter's 3rd birthday and we decided to go together. By the time we got there (only 15 mins away), Kitan had fallen asleep in the car and we argued about whether to wake him or not. I wanted to wake him because it was too late for a nap without affecting his bedtime and Tunji wanted him to sleep. In the end, I got out of the car and Tunji drove off. His plan was to drive around for 30 mins to give Kitan enough time to sleep. I was bringing the cake candles, party hats and a gift but did not have a chance to get them out of the car before he drove off so that annoyed me somewhat and I wondered whether it was a good idea to come with him.

Anyway he was soon back with Kitan. Kitan played, he ate and after a couple of hours we left.

Sunday was church and another birthday party afterwards. This was a friend's 1st birthday party for a much-wanted child after many years of trying. It was a lavish affair in a hotel in Hendon. After church, I was tired and so was Kitan, so we napped until about 5pm, not getting to the party till 6:30pm - by then the party was rounding up, there was no food and no party pack for my son. Apparently they had run out - personally I thought that was not on at all. The party was by invitation so they should have organised enough party packs for all the children plus the invite said till 8pm so there has to be enough food till the very last minute - maybe not the delicacies but at least the basics should still be available.

We headed to McDonalds after the party because Tunji was starving then decided to take Kitan to Oxford Street to see the Christmas lights. We parked by Selfridges and walked back on to Oxford Street. It was 9:30pm and not very busy. Kitan's excitement was infectious, he was jumping, skipping and running as fast as his little legs could carry him along the pavement and we joined in too. He loved the lights and the window display in Selfridges which was quite spectacular. He did get frightened of one male mannequin in a feather mask - that was quite funny! We took pictures, larked around for a bit then headed off home.

By the time I'd bathe him and put him to bed, I did think the weekend had been fun afterall if maybe a bit too intense as we'd spent all the time together. It's getting the balance right - enough 'me' time and enough family time - that'll work.

No comments:

France, Italy, Spain - here we come!

Omara's Weight loss progress (started diet 17th March 2007)