Friday, November 17, 2006

First weekend home

Friday at last and I was all set to go home. To be honest, the weekend was like an interruption, I had not yet developed a routine and all too soon, it was time to head back home. Still, I was glad to see my baby. The last time I saw him, he was recovering from an operation and a bit poorly.

I set off from work at 3pm, hoping to be in London by 6pm at the very latest. Horrendous traffic on the M1 and M25 meant I pulled into my drive about 7:30 - I was not in the best of moods. I honked my horn and my baby popped up at the window, a big smile on his face, I could not hear what he was saying but he was very excited. When I got into the house, he was jumping up and down shouting "Mummy, Mummy" - I was soooooooo happy to see him. He seemed bigger and more grown up than the image of him in my head.

A friend had warned me not to be critical of the house so they don't dread me coming home, but I could not help casting a glance around as I scooped up my Kitan. Everything seemed perfect.

Tunji ofcourse was still at work and I could not help but be a bit annoyed that he had not made a special effort to be home by the time I got home. There were no balloons or welcome banners either, but I could overlook that.

Home was stressful, purely due to the pressure I put on myselft to make up for being away. On Saturday, I spent most of the day cooking food for the freezer, I was with Kitan 24/7 even when I was tired, I bathe him, I put him to bed, I took him with me shopping. I went with Tunji to a party on Saturday night. By Sunday, I was shattered, even Tunji was telling me off for not relaxing. But it was impossible for me to, there was so much to do. I had done my laundry on Friday and ruined a brand new white shirt because I had put it in with black trousers (silly me!) and now Sunday night there was a load of packing to do. I had to get in-between clothes for when I was not at work and not in bed.

One of my plans for Leicester was to lose weight as I'd not be cooking and eating much healthier, plus being at work will mean I'm more active. I planned to have a handful of cereal for breakfast, oat biscuits, apples and fruit tea as snacks, a packed lunch (sandwich or pasta salad) for lunch and a microwave meal for dinner. Compared to my usual fare are home, that was so much less. I also planned to join the gym or start walking a mile in the morning before work.

I had done the eating part but had not started any excercise. Well, I jumped on the scale Sunday morning and discovered that I weighed 3lbs more than the last time I weighed myself, admittedly 6 weeks ago. I tried not to be upset, reminding myself that it took time to put the weight on and it'll take time for it to come off. I'll also try to stay off the scales and use clothes that were previously too tight to wear as a guage.

Come Monday morning, my baby woke at 7am, earlier than his usual 8am, which was good as I got to see him before I left. I gave Dominique the food menu for the week. She made me a toasted croissant and coffee and I was off by 7:30am.

It seems unfair not to have mentioned Dominique until now as she, even more than Tunji, has made my Leicester adventure possible. She's been with us as nanny and housekeeper for 5 months and Kitan loves her to bits. It's mutual as she treats him as her own baby and the house like hers. She cares for him, keeps the house spotless and cooks. She's a godsend and we take very good care of her by God's grace.

Just so you know, I welcome all comments! Please let me know what you think of my adventure so far or any particular part of it. I need all the help I can get.

No comments:

France, Italy, Spain - here we come!

Omara's Weight loss progress (started diet 17th March 2007)