Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The End

As I sat to write this post... I was not sure how to start to write about the end of my Leicester Life Adventure. The End was something I had longed for from my very first week here and we humans are funny because we lack that ability to see The End about most things in life including Life itself.

I never thought my time here would end, I knew it would but I never imagined what that would be like. To never need to drive back to London on a Friday knowing I'd be travelling up that same road again early Monday morning heading to Leicester.

My last week started with me arriving late on Monday morning for the very first time... already it was showing that I'd ceased caring and my mind was not here anymore. I stayed home a little while longer cuddling my little boy and telling him that after this week he would see Mummy every morning and every evening by God's grace. I got into Leicester at 9:30am and my class of 2 were waiting patiently for me. No one had thought to set up the class, so I spent the next 30 mins sorting out a laptop and projector and training materials. We finally got going just before 10am and I trained out my last SAP BW Power User course.

It was still all a secret. No one knew that was my last week there and in fact technically, it wasn't. I still had just over 2 weeks to go but my new job wanted me 10 days earlier than my current contract finished. There was not enough time to give notice without being in breach of contract and in any case, there was a clause in my contract that if I saw it through to the end, I would receive a bonus of 5% of all I had earned in my 6.5 months there. So I had to somehow be there technically till the 17th of May.

The bonus was a prize to me. A mark of my achievement. I had done the work, suffered the separation, risked my life on the motorway, week in, week out. Even if I gave the money to charity, it was my reward and I was going to make sure I collected it.

As I had been unwell the week before and the doctor had asked that I rest. I told SN, my manager that I wanted a week off from the 8th - 11th May to recuperate. He said he was sorry that due to the work load, he could not authorise it. I said I'm not asking for a holiday, I am telling you that for health reasons I will not be available. It's not a request. Later, when he released the training schedule for the week I'd requested, I noticed my name was NOT included. Good!

My plan is to then extend my 'recuperation period' by 2 extra days into the week after (my official last week) then return to Leicester on the 16th and 17th to see the contract through to the end and thus qualify for my bonus.

It is a sneaky plan because the reality is I would actually have started work at the new place on the 8th of May but I'm not feeling guilty about it because I have already completed all my courses here and will not be getting paid by them during my 'recuperation week'. Also, the big boss is on holiday for 2 weeks and the other manager AC is off next week too. Who am I that the whole company will collapse if I'm not there for 7 days?

Still, it's not the ideal situation, God forgive me!

I was so excited I told my 2 pals my 'secret'. "I've got a new job but don't tell anyone!" I warned them. They were so happy for me (I think). Most of the trainers' contracts are ending like mine in the 3rd week of May so everyone is job hunting, including the managers. A few have been asked to stay on but most are leaving.

My house mate Louise was on holiday and was not back by the time I went to bed on Monday night. I saw her briefly on Tuesday morning as I was pulling out of the drive and jumped out of my car to say "Louise, I've got a new job, I'm starting next week, this is my last week and I'm moving out on Friday... I'm running late, must dash, I'll tell you all about it later" - she stood there stunned but with a smile on her face! When I got back from work, she was not home before I went to bed.

On Tuesday too, I told my manager SN, only because he will be getting a email to give me reference and I wanted him to 'be nice'. During my time here, we'd had our issues (also see 'He has come again oh') but had settled into a healthy 'drama-free' relationship. I also told a couple other colleagues though considering the way they all gossip, I'm sure they knew already.

There were lots of contract documents for the new job to send and/or sign - Opt Out agreement; Confidentiality Agreement; Letter of Intent; Company Registration Certificate, VAT Certificate; Bank details; Scanned Passport; 2 Referees; Public Liablity Insurance; Professional Indemnity Insurance and on and on. I spent the later part of Tuesday printing, signing, faxing, calling - and trying to get everything in order. You'd think I was joining the MOD (Ministry of Defence).

On Wednesday, I had no more training scheduled and could continue from where I left off yesterday trying to send over all the contract documents. My manager SN got the reference request and thankfully gave me a glowing reference. He told me he wrote "She has an excellent analytical mind, good at finding faults and suggesting solutions." Looking at that now, it does read 'somehow', what does he mean 'finding faults'? - anyway it'll have to do.

With only Thursday and Friday to go, I have to find time to tell Louise - she's in London till Thursday night. And I have to pack which for some weird reason, I'm finding difficult to do.

An era has truly come to an end and I doubt I would have this opportunity again. How ever way I look at it, it was a God-given opportunity and I was blessed from start to finish. I could have made more of my time here, I know, but it was what it was and I'm thankful. I've learned a lot about myself and about others. It's helped me spiritually and I learned to rely on God. It was the boost my career needed and it built up my confidence in myself and in my skills. It led me to starting this blog in which I have chronicled my journey. And years later when the challenges will be different and I'd have forgotten about Leicester, I can always come back and read and laugh and cry.


It'll be a new adventure the next time I post again. This is my last post from Leicester. The last one.


10 comments:

Remi Fagbohun said...

Awwwwwwwww-
It is truly bittersweet, I am sure.
But I am sure youre going to be happier (hopefully) around your babies.
Good luck with the new job.
and p.s...updating my blog, is so far down on my list of priorities...its mad enough getting time in to read a full story to my son :-(
Give me time , I will update soon.
Hugs,
RF

Roz said...

oh wow, definitely not the end of your blogging, myself and many others won't let you rest if you tried stopping! It was a journey for you but also one thing I have to say, is that the very first time I read your blog I cried my eyes out. Why? because you have a very special way of telling your experinces, and these experinces (maybe not exactly the same) others might be going through...we've all been there one way or another - feeling guilty about balancing worklife vs family life, office politics, husbands and wife palaver, friendships, money, weight issues - and your message whether with humour or sadness, says, if I can get through it... so can you!

Wishing you all the very very very best and God's guidance on your next journey.

Admin UD said...

Wishing you all the best Omara.

Nael C. Robes said...

I am glad it is ending and you should be proud that you stuck it out. That is so many miles away from home and some many nights without your family. I hope you keep us posted on the job in London and how well it works out.

Unknown said...

Best Wishes Omara. You deserve nothing but the best.

Ms. May said...

Congratulations! Many blessings. Go with God.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new job!!!! Well done. I hope it all works out with your little emergency plan for your old job....and I am looking forward to hear how you are doing in the new one...nice for you to be more around the family again.

chioma said...

Happy for you, happy for kitan and happy for your hubby! ALL the best.

Suby said...

Congrats on the new job, interesting read your blog. It always is soo interesting how much one can learn about people by just visiting their blogs.

May the start of this new journey bring you loads of success, smiles, joy and laughter.

Suby

P.s
You got such cute kids :)

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Wishing you the best as you start on your new adventure. Looking forward to reading all about it.

France, Italy, Spain - here we come!

Omara's Weight loss progress (started diet 17th March 2007)